We're looking for a candidate to fill this position in an exciting company.You will bear final responsibility for the general and day-to-day management of KITLV and for charting the institute’s...
We're looking for a candidate to fill this position in an exciting company.
- You will bear final responsibility for the general and day-to-day management of KITLV and for charting the institute’s course, in line with the Academy’s strategy.
- You will ensure that KITLV remains a leading international institute where scientific talent flourishes. You will identify important developments in research and society, both in the Netherlands and elsewhere, and respond effectively to them. You will develop a distinct approach to the profile and future development of KITLV as a dynamic research institute of international standing with added value for the Netherlands.
- You will play an important role in national and international networks and partnerships in the field and promote interdisciplinary cooperation with universities and other Academy and NWO institutes. You will maintain a close relationship with the KITLV Association and continue to develop the institute’s structural alliance with Leiden University, in part with a view to improving the collections and their accessibility. You will position the institute with bodies that fund research (including the EU, NWO), knowledge institutions, NGOs, government institutions and the business community, and by doing so create new partnerships.
- You will devote yourself to fostering science communication and maximising the impact of the institute’s research activities on society. You will function as a point of contact in the public debate about the colonial past and its impact on contemporary science and society, highlighting the relevance of research for that debate.
- You will represent KITLV both within the Academy (as a member of the Council of Directors) and in national and international bodies, thus promoting the interests of both the institute and the Academy.
- You are an internationally authoritative and innovative scholar. You reflect critically on research approaches and contribute to a constructive debate about the decolonisation of research practices. You are open to public debate and committed to research integrity and scientific rigour. You are familiar with innovative digital research methods.
- You have a strategic mindset and managerial insight and possess the ability to inspire and encourage and to clearly communicate vision and policy.
- You have a large national and international network, both within and outside the scientific community, and are demonstrably able to use your network to forge strategic alliances and obtain research grants.
- You have demonstrable leadership skills, you are creative and engaged, and you are capable of leading and inspiring a team of professionals as a ‘first among equals’. You advocate and promote a safe, inclusive and diverse research environment. You have an eye for what is taking place within the organisation; you are people-oriented, empathetic, accessible and capable of making changes; and you invest in your employees’ careers. You are able to connect people and ideals.
- You display integrity, you focus on getting results, and you are decisive and dynamic. You are an effective communicator, both internally and externally.
- You have an affinity for and experience in finance, human resources and social policy.
- You have an excellent command of written and spoken English. Foreign candidates will be expected to have a passive and active command of Dutch within a foreseeable period of time and to familiarise themselves with Dutch culture. You preferably also speak one of the local languages used in the areas studied by the institute.
Apply for Director KITLV-KNAW
Have a account? Sign in now and we'll pre-fill this application for you.